Who may join
You can join GEMS if you are employed in:
- A National Department listed in Schedule 1 of the Public Service Act
- A Provincial Department listed in Schedule 2 of the Public Service Act
- A Provincial Administration listed in Schedule 2 of the Public Service Act
- Organisational components listed in Schedule 3 of the Public Service Act
- Any employer group approved by the Scheme (a list of these employers is available in Annexure A of the Scheme Rules).
You cannot join GEMS if you are employed by:
- The South African National Defence Force (SANDF)
- The National Intelligence Agency (NIA)
- The South African Secret Service (SASS)
- Uniformed members of the South African Police Service (SAPS)
- Any department where the conditions of service do not allow you to join GEMS.
*Rule 6 of the Scheme Rules explains who can become a GEMS member. The Public Service Act is available on the Department of Public Service and Administration website at http://www.dpsa.gov.za/.
Remember: You are not allowed to be a member or a registered dependant of more than one medical scheme at the same time.